Contract: Full time, permanent
Salary: £17,892.18 /£10.42ph - pro rata salary (£20,860.84 FTE)
Location: Brampton, Cumbria
North Lakes Children's Services is a well-established local provider of residential care and education for boys aged 7-18. We improve the resilience, self-esteem and abilities of all the young people we work with.
Our school is now an Accredited SILVER Award Attachment and Trauma Sensitive School, and we gained our first Outstanding Ofsted inspection in 2014
As a Teaching Assistant you will be enhancing the learning of pupils who have a wide range of special educational and learning needs. You will also be supporting the teaching staff in enabling the pupils to gain independence, participate fully in the curriculum and the general life of the school. This role will be based at Kirby Moor School.
Duties will include:
- Supporting the pupils in 1:1, in groups or in classroom situations, lunch and break times, and unstructured/social times
- Accompanying pupils on organised school visits as appropriate
- In conjunction with the SENDCo, to assist with the development of social skills and appropriate behaviour of pupils.
- Participate in the development, delivery and monitoring of individual programmes.
- To assist in the support of pupils who can respond with behaviour which challenges
- To assist with resolving issues which cause anxiety or emotional response in our pupils
- To keep accurate records as required by the school
- To be involved in collaborative planning with teaching staff to ensure the effective use of support
- Support the delivery of the Key Stage 2 and 3 school's curriculum map
- To support the delivery of KS4 programmes of study
- To be involved in working groups where appropriate
- To work as part of a flexible and supportive team to further the ethos of the school
- To attend weekly staff meetings and relevant INSET/CPD events
All Applicants must have:
- Relevant experience in a similar environment or appropriate qualifications
- Candidates should hold appropriate academic qualifications to at least GCSE standard, professional qualifications to at least NVQ level 2, or be able to demonstrate competency through proven experience in a similar role.
- Basic first aid knowledge
- Able to work on their own initiative
- Be capable of working on their own initiative to a high level of accuracy, maintain clear, neat records
- Have good time management skills and be able to use time flexibly to meet the demands of the post
- Have good inter-personal skills, be able to operate as a member of a busy team
- Have good oral and written communication skills in a variety of contexts (pupils, parents, colleagues etc)
- Be willing to undertake relevant training to enhance personal development and to use the knowledge to benefit the school
- Relevant knowledge of child development and an understanding of the different ways children learn to read will be an advantage
- Knowledge of ACES or how childhood trauma can affect children and adults in later life would be beneficial. However, training will be available to the successful candidate
- Due to location - all applicants must have access to a vehicle, and hold a full driving licence
- You must be willing to undertake a DBS check at enhanced level if successful for the position
- The role is term time only
- Hours of work 8.30 to 16:00 Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri and 8.30 to 17:00 on Tuesday
- 39 weeks with the pupils plus 5.6 weeks holiday
- Excellent training available
The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS Check for this position. North Lakes Children's Services is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates.