This job specification details the requirements for the role of Senior Technical Safety Engineer in the company asset support group, reporting to the Lead Technical Safety Engineer based at their Balmoral office.
Primary purpose of role
The Senior Technical Safety Engineer will provide technical/engineering advice and support to activities on operated assets and projects.
- Take personal responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others, and champion our ZERO harm charter.
- ‘Live’ the companys ELITE values and apply them in day-to-day work.
- Act in the best interest of the company at all times.
- As and when required, take delegation of authority responsibility for the Lead Engineer.
- Provide technical expertise and knowledge of industry good practice to execute workload under limited supervision from the Lead Technical Safety Engineer and review documents. Ensure as far as practically possible all assigned work is carried out in compliance with agreed budget and schedule.
- Provide asset production operations and project personnel with specific technical support, in coordination with Site team, ensuring continual & cost effective improvement.
- Provide technical supervision, direction and support for graduate and engineer level members of the technical safety team and other disciplines within the wider engineering team.
- Technical review and comment of design documentation for ongoing projects related to operated assets.
- Review of 3rd party documentation.
- Review of inter-discipline deliverables and information from a Technical Safety perspective.
- Responsible Technical Safety engineer for multi-discipline design and safety reviews.
- Management and selection of third parties in their undertaking and delivery of specific predefined scopes, ensuring work delivered meets the job brief.
- Aid understanding of process safety to the wider workforce through delivery of process safety training sessions and development of process safety material.
- Seek out learning opportunities and transfer new skills and knowledge to the job.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with site personnel through effective communication and by making regular visits to operated assets.
The candidate should have a strong working knowledge of the following areas:
- HAZOP, HAZID, ENVID, LOPA and other hazard identification techniques.
- ALARP principal and ALARP demonstration assessments
- Knowledge and experience of hazards associated with carbon capture is desirable.
- Safety Critical Component (SCC) Management:
o Operational Risk Assessment
o Development of Performance Standards
o Development of Philosophy documents
- Functional Safety including:
o Technical governance for LOPA
o Technical governance of Functional Safety Assessments
- Responsible for close out of actions arising from competent authority visits, HAZOP, studies, workshops and audits etc.
- Knowledge of processes critical for process safety including, management of change, process safety auditing, control of work, operation and maintenance procedures, handover, incident response and emergency response.
- Cumulative risk assessment.
- COMAH case development and maintenance in support of COMAH update re-submissions.
- Escape, evacuation and rescue assessments.
- Knowledge of:
o Fire, Explosion and Toxic Risk Assessment
o Occupied Building Risk Assessment
o Quantified Risk Assessment
o Hazardous Area Classification
- Awareness of Human Factors Engineering including SCTA.
- Experience of development of Process Safety Systems (e.g. Development of digital systems for management of safety critical systems) would be favourable.
- Provide all aspects of engineering / technical support and assistance to operated asset teams.
- Develop and maintain productive and constructive relationships with the operated asset personnel, operations / technical teams and external contractors / vendors.
- Specific budget lines as delegated.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients