Financial Controller – Manufacturing & People Leader
Radius Aerospace UK Ltd
£60-65,000 + £4,800 Car Allowance + up to 20% Bonus + AXA Family Private Healthcare + 5% Matched Pension+ 25 holidays (+ 3 at Xmas + 8 Statutory) + 11.30am finish on Friday
Radius Aerospace UK Ltd has exclusively retained Seymour John to hire a Financial Controller for the Shrewsbury manufacturing facility which turns over £21m p.a and employs 116 people. The plant excels in fabrication and forming processes to produce complex aerospace and industrial gas turbine assemblies.
Shrewsbury has a larger sister site based in Sheffield with the combined UK business turning over £52m p.a and employing 300 people. The UK business is a wholly owned subsidiary of Radius Aerospace Inc, in turn owned by Arlington Capital based out of the USA.
Radius Aerospace is highly supportive of a culture based around accountability and empowerment.
The work-life balance is genuinely excellent and people generally do work the prescribed hours which are Monday to Thursday 7:30am to 4:15pm, and Friday 7:30am to 11:30pm.
The Financial Controller We Need:
We are keen to bring in a Finance and People Leader who can support the positive cultural shift and inspire and encourage their colleagues, working closely with the Management Team in particular, to drive change, better processes and greater sense of ownership and accountability. Changing embedded culture and attitudes is challenging in any business so you’ll need to be resilient, determined and in it for the medium to long term.
Running alongside this, your top and immediate priority will be to reset the standard costs, an exercise which hasn’t been done since ##### and problematic given the dramatic changes in input prices since then. Successful execution of this task will provide the foundations for the lions share of commercial decisions at the factory. It will allow Shrewsbury to accurately understand it’s margins for different processes, products and customers, give confidence to quoting and commercial negotiations and allow you to develop assured investment cases, offering a far better platform to secure investment to develop the Shrewsbury business.
* Driving a system of daily/weekly/monthly trackers and dashboards for business performance and delivery of forecasts, including improving forecast accuracy and tools to estimate impact of known and potential issues
* Responsibility for forecasting and budgeting processes, including roll-out across non-financial functions and communication of risk to/managing expectations of Radius leadership teams
* Understanding of business performance drivers through trend analysis, financial modelling and engagement in operational matters to understand and identify root causes and countermeasures
* Oversee development and updating of the costing system
* Production of management reports and analytical review to aid discussion with GM and management team focusing on performance versus targets and improving quality of information
* Working capital management – supporting the business to improve ratios by both direct and indirect actions
* Inventory management support, including leading the stock take process, tracking and driving actions to improve excess inventory levels and turnover of stock and WIP
* Lead reporting into US parent by collaborating with the UK Shared Finance team and sharing information, assisting in process change and any roll-out of new Group global policies and requirements
* Challenge and debate business ideas and strategies whilst providing timely and accurate management information to support
* Support business change initiatives and lead where necessary/relevant
* Support Group FD in evaluating site specific commercial opportunities, contract pricing and business strategies
* Assist site General Manager in conduct of their duties where required
* Analyse, interrogate and drive actions related to key business projects that may be non-financial, by building a broad knowledge base of the site and the company and building relationships outside of finance
* Build evaluation and justifications for site investment decisions, supporting the management team in pulling together capital requests and other investment cases
* Support and mentor the Cost & Project Accountant and members of the Shared Finance Team building a succession pipeline for the Controller role
The role is supported from above by the Group FD for Radius Aerospace Europe and a team of three including a Cost and Project Accountant on site for financial planning, analysis and costing and currently based remotely in Sheffield, a General Ledger and an Accounts Payable specialist.
* An experienced finance professional with a sufficient depth of experience in manufacturing and costing.
* A people-oriented leader who will enjoy building good relationship across the business and wants to influence behaviour, coach and develop those around them.
* Can enthusiastically approach complex problems and project management.
* Strong IT and analytical skill.
* Preferably though not necessarily a fully qualified Accountant (ACMA, ACCA, ACA).
To apply or for a confidential discussion, please contact Phil Topper at Seymour John Recruitment Ltd